How does SHAFR use your personal information?
We use personal information to provide SHAFR membership services and products, to ensure the security of our online services, and to conduct the business of the Society, as follows:
To fulfill a contract with you or take steps at your request:
- To fulfill orders and to process annual meeting and other event registrations.
- To provide information and technical support at your request.
- To contact you with information about changes to SHAFR services, products, and events.
- To handle payment card information provided through our websites and processed through third-party PCI-compliant payment services.
- To process, store, and analyze your information to review applications for SHAFR fellowship, grant, and prize programs; and for annual meeting, conference, and seminar proposals.
In some situations, we may need to ask for your personal information to fulfill your request or order (such as your mailing address to send you an item that you have ordered). If you do not provide that personal information, then we will be unable to process your order or request.
As required by SHAFR to contact the business of the Society, including:
- Giving you access to products or services that you have purchased from us.
- Providing you with different content within a product or service, depending on how you use that product or service.
- Contacting you regarding SHAFR products and services by e-mail or postal mail in accordance with your marketing preferences. This includes SHAFR election materials.
- Analyzing how you use our products and services, including through surveys.
- Ensuring the security of our websites and other information technology systems and protecting SHAFR’s rights.
Where you give us consent:
- To send marketing for SHAFR products and services.
- To place cookies and use similar technology on your device(s). You may disable or decline cookies, however, some features on our websites may not function properly or be available to you. You can find more information about cookies at: www.allaboutcookies.org and www.youronlinechoices.eu.
For purposes required by law, to comply with legal obligations to which we are subject.
What information does SHAFR collect?
We collect and process personal information about you when you purchase goods and services from us and interact with us and our websites. This includes:
- Your name, username(s), and password(s).
- Your residential, academic, or work address, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers.
- Your payment and delivery details, including mailing and billing addresses and payment card data, when you make purchases from us.
- Your marketing preferences, including any consents you have given us.
- Information related to the browser or device you use to access our websites, including IP (internet protocol) addresses, cookies, pages that you visit, and other statistics (“Log Data”). We also use third-party services, including Google Analytics, that collect, monitor, and analyze log data to improve our service offerings and protect the security of our online services.
- Records of your use of SHAFR services.
How will SHAFR share your information?
We share your personal information:
- Within SHAFR and its affiliates.
- With third party service providers that process and store your information on our behalf for the purposes listed above, including payment processors, fulfillment services, technology providers, and other vendors.
- With institutions through which you have access to SHAFR services.
- With Oxford University Press (Oxford Journals), which manages SHAFR membership services, including order fulfillment, processing, and customer service.
We will also share your personal information if we think it is necessary to protect our rights, property, or the safety of SHAFR, our staff, contractors, partners, or our customers. This includes sharing information for fraud prevention and with government authorities and/or law enforcement agencies if required by law.
Information from Children
This website contains links to other sites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the contents or privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of any other site that collects personally identifiable information.
Your Access to and Control Over Information
You may choose to stop receiving our e-mail newsletter by following the unsubscribe instructions included in those e-mails.
You may change or correct your SHAFR membership details (including your current mailing address for SHAFR publications including Diplomatic History and Passport) by contacting Oxford Journals.
You may also contact us at [email protected] to:
- See what data we have about you, if any.
- Change/correct any data we have about you.
- Have us delete any data we have about you.
- Express any concern you have about our use of your data.
There is no charge for requesting access to your personal information but we may require you to meet our reasonable costs in providing you with access (such as photocopying costs or costs for time spent on collating large amounts of material). Please note, because of the way we maintain certain services, after you delete or amend your information, residual copies may take a period of time before they are deleted from our active servers and may remain in our backup systems.
You will need to provide sufficient identifying information, such as your name and e-mail address and possible additional identifying information as a security precaution. We may not always be able to fully address your request, if, for example, it would impact the duty of confidentiality we owe to others, or if we are legally entitled to deal with the request in a different way.
We will retain your information for as long as your membership is active or as needed to provide you services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
SHAFR Business Office
Department of History
Middle Tennessee State University
1301 East Main Street, Box 23
Murfreesboro, TN 37132
Last updated 25 May 2018