Call for Applications
SHAFR Second Book Workshop
17 June 2020
SHAFR welcomes applications for its inaugural Second Book Workshop. This one-day event will be held in New Orleans on June 17, 2020, directly prior to SHAFR’s 2020 Annual Meeting.
This initiative is designed for mid-career scholars who are researching and writing their second book and will benefit from a productive environment in which to receive feedback on work in progress. The twelve workshop participants will exchange comments with their peers in a small group setting. They will also have the opportunity to discuss their work one-on-one with senior scholars and acquisition editors from Oxford University Press, Cornell University Press, and the University of North Carolina Press.
To apply for the Second Book Workshop, please submit the following materials to Nicole Anslover ([email protected]) by March 15, 2020.
- A Curriculum Vitae
- A draft chapter, introduction, or book proposal to be circulated at the workshop. Selected participants will have the opportunity to submit further material.
- A one-page explanation of the applicant’s goals and expectations for the workshop. This statement should also indicate if the applicant is a member of a “priority group.” Priority group is defined as follows:
- Members of underrepresented groups (in terms of gender, race, class, and accessibility)
- People with high teaching and administrative loads
- People who lack a conducive research and mentoring environment
Applications will be evaluated by a five-person screening committee composed of three members of the Committee on Women in SHAFR and two other senior scholars/members of SHAFR. Successful applicants will be notified by April 20.