Call for Applications
Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations
The Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations (SHAFR) is searching for a part-time professional conference consultant to organize and direct the SHAFR annual meeting. This is a one-year renewable position, which involves organizing all components of the annual meeting, including outreach, and insuring that the conference works smoothly for participants. The ideal candidate will be self-directed but also will enjoy working closely with SHAFR’s leadership. A BA and relevant experience are required; some experience with and interest in social media is also desirable.
Broad responsibilities of the position include:
- Planning and managing logistics of the conference on site, and organizing the conference outreach and registration;
- Working closely with the Program Committee, the Executive Director, and the Local Arrangements Committee to plan the conference program and activities;
- Managing contacts with those who have applied to present at the conference, as needed;
- Managing all aspects of conference registration;
- Managing the book exhibit;
- Publishing the conference program;
- Serving as contact person for all public and business communications related to the conference;
- Working with SHAFR’s social media team to publicize the conference;
- Planning and managing logistics on site;
- Managing the on-site registration desk and supervising student volunteer workers;
- Managing the conference budget;
- Reporting to the SHAFR Council about the meeting.
Review of applications will begin on May 22, 2017, and continue until the position is filled. Salary will be negotiated and commensurate with experience. This is a part time (roughly quarter-time) position and salary will be paid on an independent contractor basis.
SHAFR is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. SHAFR is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community, and we strongly encourage applications from any under-represented groups.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for two references to Search Committee Chair Melani McAlister at [email protected]. Questions may be directed to the same e-mail address.